Saturday, March 24, 2012

Good News, But I'll Keep It Brief

WARNING: Rare, genuinely heartfelt moment follows.

Since this isn't actually a "Daddy" blog, I'll keep this brief. But since I've teased you with recent posts about Wolfgang Amadeus Marshmallow and the impending college choices, I want to share the news.

We have now heard back from all the schools that Wolfgang is interested in attending and to which he has applied and auditioned. Briefly, U. of Maryland, Shenandoah U., and Ithaca College were the three front runners. All have offered scholarships now. Shenandoah wants Wolfgang so badly they practically left drool on his paperwork.

However, it looks like Ithaca is the final choice. It's a great school with an impressive history for music. They awarded Wolfgang their Presidential Scholar Award, which was way beyond our expectations (they accepted 190 applicants from a pool of some 2000, and just under 10% of those receive that scholarship). We're excited, proud, and happy (happy the long wait is over).

I can finally say without feeling boastful or hyperbolic that the kid is pretty damn good. I'm proud of him, because he took a legitimate gift, worked very hard, and turned into something that will touch other people in a wonderful way. All I ever wanted for myself and my children was to do something to make the world a better place. Music does that in profound, yet often unnoticed ways.

I wish him a life of fulfillment and joy. Thanks for letting me share this with you.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm glad you shared this...it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful. It really is.
    And yes, I think we all want our kids to make the world a better place.

    Looking forward to the rich and famous phase... then I can say, "Hey, I read his father's blog!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Wolfie. I hope he will blog about his journey, if he has time. Congratulations to you and Mrs. Marshmallow, without your support, love and encouragement Wolfie would not have made it this far. Cheers to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I hope he feels fabulous aout his achievement. Thanks for letting us in on it. Party time? Yes, I think it must be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing. What a talented son you have-- though I'd expect nothing less. Ithaca will be wonderful...and this was your last college admission waiting game to play, no?

    ReplyDelete