Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Random Thoughts, Random Votes.

Voting.
It's Your Right.
Don't Screw It Up!


I'm not gonna go for the easy, "It comes down to voting between a douche and a turd sandwich." I'm just not gonna. I want to, though.

I did a carefully measured, placebo controlled, double-blind, crossover study of political TV ads this year (meaning: I watched a couple of commercials without changing channels this week). What I found may shock you, but, believe it or not, some of those ads were simply attacks on the character of one candidate by his or her opponent. While it may seem like a good idea to the low-road candidate at the time he approves an attack ad, what he fails to understand is that for 30 seconds, all I can hear coming from the (louder than the program I was watching) commercial is his opponent's name! Over and over and over.

Being the conscientious American I am, I have done so little prework on any of the candidates, I'm most likely to vote for the name I've heard or seen most often. Which means, when I hear "Joe Sestak" 50 million times in a week, I couldn't give a rip about the context in which I heard it. I'm simply familiar with his name. So I feel like I know Joe. I love Joe. I want Joe to be my guy. I don't care if he molested church mice in Afganistan with Voldemort. He's gonna get my vote.

Now, many people would think that I'm just wasting my vote. Au contraire! Ralph Nader wasted my vote. John Anderson wasted my vote. Pat Paulsen wasted my....no, I take that back. Paulsen was an excellent choice.

My point is this...

...Shit! my train of thought derailed back in the Voldemort paragraph. I forgot my point. Which is exactly my point! We vote as randomly as we think. Why not go in and vote for the candidate you think is hottest? You may not like the job she does, but at least when the Fox News puts her on TV, you'll get that warm feeling in your nethers and you'll take your next bathroom break a happier person.

Make up your own criteria for voting. Height, sex, favorite NASCAR driver, number of appearances on Letterman. Who cares? Just don't pretend that you are voting because you agree with the candidates platform, because if you're being honest, you don't have a damn clue what it is anyway. I watched Sarah Palin give an interview in which she hallucinated may have elucidated her platform. Who knows? The whole time I watched her, all I could think was, "Doesn't she see or hear that guy behind her slaughtering those turkeys?" And that's also the only thing I could subsequently remember about her "platform" Turkeys getting their heads ripped off!

Also, she was hot.

So get out there and vote. Write me in if you want. I was hot, back in 2005. Ask the RenFaire people, if you don't believe me.




3 comments:

  1. 1.) South Park. FTW.
    2.) I originally got addicted to NPR because I was sick of the political ads one election season.
    3.) I was a hot beatnik. BUT WAY TO PICK THE ONLY PICTURE OF ME WHERE I LOOK LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN REVENGE OF THE NERDS AND QUASIMODO.

    Thank you, Blast from the Past, for making me read Jack Kerouac's On the Road. And for making me write poetry like "Your Love is Like Roadkill."

    4.) From looking at this picture, I learned it's really difficult to snap for a picture without looking like you're giving the camera a bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yay!
    2. I'm just addicted to NPR, period.
    3. I knew Quasimodo, and you're no Quasimodo!
    4. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =D =D =D =D Second picture added!

    ReplyDelete